Two more days till the trip!!! (and till I'll have some real content to post here! hee) In the mean time, here's my Star Trek rankings:
TV:
Glorious:
1. Deep Space Nine (to quote mr. tv guide: "the best written, acted, and all together finest trek show")
2. The Original Series (simply classic, probably deserves to be #1, or at least tied there, I'm just more loyal to DS9 due to growing up w/it)
Nicely Nice:
3. The Next Generation (a tad bland, dated, and overrated, but well made all the same... and it has Picard)
Meh:
4. Enterprise (Voyager-style crap for its first two seasons, half blah/half lovely for its third, & the fourth was a triumphant return to TNG-caliber form, then it got cancelled, oh well)
Shit:
5. Voyager (pure, grade-A dork-poo across the board; everything bad about Trek dumped into one show)
Movies:
Glorious:
1. The Wrath of Khan (the movie that defined "glorious" for me, heehee, arguably one of the greatest scifi films of all time even)
Lovely:
None
Nicely Nice:
2. The Voyage Home (aka the funny one with the whales; very funny & clever, nothing more, nothing less, which is more than sufficient in this case; ingenius storyidea too)
3. The Search for Spock (again, nothing special, but gets the job done well; and the entire 40-or-so-minutes from Kirk hijacking the Enterprise to Mr. Evil Klingon's death is almost Khan quality. I think I'm the only one who likes it that much though.)
4. First Contact (thought it was one of the most kick-arse things I'd ever seen when it came out in '96; has lost its charm over the years, but is still one of the better Trek flicks)
5. The Undiscovered Country (it's *superb* for the first 20min and the last 10, but drags hard between the two; also everyone seems a bit too bitchy & out of character for me tastes)
Meh:
6. The Motion Picture (has my favorite musical score of all time, it's gorgeous to look at, and I appreciate the ridiculous effort that went in to its making, but when all is said and done tis really just less a Trek movie and more a boring, horribly acted knock-off of 2001: A Space Odyssey, sawwy. But as Num-Nums pointed out, it does have that lovely "out.. THATTAWAY!" line, heehee)
Bleh:
7. Generations (blah)
8. Insurrection (blah)
Shit, But I Love It Anyway:
9. The Final Frontier (Shatner's troubled directorial debut... has that amazing campfire scene ("row row row your boat!" bwahaha), and you get to see Kirk fight God... and win! What's not to love?)
ARG!
10. Nemesis (TNG deserved a better sendoff than whatever unpleasantness this was that I wiped from my memory. Just as moronic and bad as "Die Another Day" & for exactly the same reasons)
The Birth of SCREEN INVASION!
-
I've been talking about it a lot on Twitter and Facebook, but now that's
officially happened - it's time to blog about it too!
Too Interesting For Twitter ...
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment